In 1933, Clyde E. Toland began working as an estimator at the iron shop McNeil Steinberg in San Francisco, CA. In 1942,
Clyde bought out Steinberg to become a partner of the company. A few years later in 1946, McNeil Steinberg was dissolved
and the C. E. Toland Company was formed. It was then renamed C. E. Toland & Son to include Clyde Jr. upon commencement
of his employment, and incorporated as such in 1955. In August of 1953, a devastating fire would destroy the shop and many of
its records, and the company's resiliency was tested as it was forced to relocate to Oakland. After decades of growth, the company
moved to Benicia in 1989, where it is located today. C. E. Toland & Son is still family-owned and -operated and prides itself on
conducting business the right way, leaving the customer thoroughly satisfied.